Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Printing on Tees

It's always fun to be able to wear your art! I wanted to make some prints on tee shirts using scratch foam and acrylic paint. I drew the bicycle directly onto the scratch foam and then cut out the shape. I used a paint brush to mix together Golden fabric painting medium, and two colors of acrylic paint (one color is Martha Stewart's acrylic paint that is specifically for fabric). The Golden medium makes the paint stay put on the fabric and not wash out. I used a brayer to spread the paint onto my scratch foam bike and then pressed it onto the tee. After the image had dried I set the paint by ironing the back for three minutes. I would recommend washing your garment by hand the first time to make sure that it does not run. This is a great project to do with children and it is not necessary to run out and buy a bunch of new tees to try it on. Experiment with what you have on hand. It's a fun way to add life to a garment that you might be a little tired of. You can also print off both sides of the scratch foam printing plate, so your bikes can be heading to the left or to the right.

3 comments:

  1. What a fun project! And I love this bicycle motif, too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bike! Just posted on Craft Gossip...

    http://lessonplans.craftgossip.com/?p=6748

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've pinned your post for inspiration... thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete