Monday, May 24, 2021

Making Sculptures from Paper

Providing children with a sturdy base, strips of paper and a glue stick is a simple and fun intro to 3D art and a springboard for imaginative thinking. I purchased a sheet of foam core and used an x-acto knife to cut the board into jigsaw type pieces. The jigsaw shapes are the bases for their sculptures. I showed them different ways to fold and twist the paper, and explained that we were not gluing the pieces so that they were flat against the base. I empasized that for stability each strip of paper should be folded back at the points where it would attach to the base and that plenty of glue stick should be applied. As part of the lesson we discussed how a sculpture can be viewed from different angles. I mentioned that the piece that I was consstructing, as the example, reminded me of an amusement park. They turned their work into everything from fanciful playgrounds to candy factories.

No comments:

Post a Comment