Saturday, September 5, 2015

Crayon Monoprints using a Warming Tray

I was poking around a thrift store in my town when I came across a warming tray. They were used back in the 60s to keep casseroles warm. I was pretty excited because I knew exactly what I was going to use it for.
Once the tray is warm I drew on it with crayons. Nice fat ones would work well, but I only had standard Crayolas. The crayons literally melt onto the surface of the tray. The ugly floral pattern on the tray is a little disconcerting. I lay a sheet of white paper on top of the tray and rubbed the back with a rag. You do have to watch out that you don't burn yourself, so do be careful. I would recommend this activity for children six and up who will pay attention to a warning about the heat. The tray wipes off easily with a rag. I printed multiple times on the same sheet of paper.
An added bonus to my thrift store visit was a box of 200 mats for two dollars! I almost passed them up since there are some weird colors, but they will be perfect for sending work home with the children this school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment