Saturday, September 5, 2015

Crayon Monoprints using a Warming Tray

I was poking around a thrift store in my town when I came across a warming tray. They were used back in the 60s to keep casseroles warm. I was pretty excited because I knew exactly what I was going to use it for.
Once the tray is warm I drew on it with crayons. Nice fat ones would work well, but I only had standard Crayolas. The crayons literally melt onto the surface of the tray. The ugly floral pattern on the tray is a little disconcerting. I lay a sheet of white paper on top of the tray and rubbed the back with a rag. You do have to watch out that you don't burn yourself, so do be careful. I would recommend this activity for children six and up who will pay attention to a warning about the heat. The tray wipes off easily with a rag. I printed multiple times on the same sheet of paper.
An added bonus to my thrift store visit was a box of 200 mats for two dollars! I almost passed them up since there are some weird colors, but they will be perfect for sending work home with the children this school year.

1 comment:

  1. The old age techinque of using warm srurface for printing has be nicely improvised by you. the pri ted pattern is outstanding and there are no flaws in it. you should elaborate furher as how you transfered this blueprint to tray or paper.

    ReplyDelete