Wednesday, April 27, 2011
The darker image is an actual sheet of fine grade sandpaper. The drawing was made directly onto the sandpaper with layers of Crayola crayons. The sandpaper was turned over onto a sheet of white paper and a hot iron melted the wax of the crayons onto the paper. I protected my iron with a couple sheets of white paper. This method gives the final image a pointillist effect.
Wednesday, April 20, 2011
This is a gelatin print on canvas. I used paper doilies, a seashell, string, and bits of paper altered with pinking shears and a hole punch to either mask out sections of the gelatin plate or to make impressions directly in the acrylic paint that I was using as the printing medium.
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
After making a stack of monoprints (previous post) I decided that there were many that had not turned out exactly as planned, but they had some nice elements that might be recycled. I cut the prints into squares and the squares into triangles, mixed and matched different color schemes and mounted them with glue stick on blank greeting cards. I'm glad I did not just toss them out.
Wednesday, April 6, 2011
For this monoprint I rolled printing ink onto a small sheet of plexiglass with a brayer. I drew the outline of the bird with a pencil directly into the ink. I lay a sheet of paper on top of the plexiglass and applied some pressure with my hand to transfer the image. After it was dry I added some color to the bird and leaves with a pastel chalk and added some definition to the bird with a black colored pencil.